For the cake:
- 100 g (¾ cup) loose wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder (Royal type)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon fumage
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon allspice ( allspice ) ground
- ¼ teaspoon salt fumage
- 3 eggs (L)
- 200 g (1 cup) white sugar
- 165 g (? Cup) pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (120 g) crushed walnuts (optional)
- Powdered sugar for dusting
For the cream cheese filling:
From the cake:
- We preheat the (electric) oven to 190ºC and place the rack at medium height.
- We grease the baking tray, cover the base with baking paper and also grease it . We booked.
- We spread a clean kitchen towel (cotton if possible), as thin as possible, over a wide surface and sprinkle it with a thin layer of icing sugar. We booked.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt and combine well with some rods. We booked.
- In the bowl of our mixer, equipped with the paddle attachment , (or in a large bowl) we vigorously beat the eggs and sugar until a somewhat thick mixture is obtained.
- Then add the pumpkin puree and vanilla extract and mix a little more until everything is well integrated.
- Now we add the reserved dry ingredients (see point 4) and continue mixing gently just until there are no visible traces of flour.
- Pour the previous mixture on the already greased baking tray and spread well until it completely covers the bottom. As the mixture is somewhat liquid, it will be enough to move the tray slightly in all directions until the surface smooths itself and reaches all the corners.
- Finally, sprinkle with the crushed walnuts (if we have chosen to add them) evenly over the entire surface of the mixture and put the tray in the oven.
- We bake for 13 to 15 minutes. We have to check that by pressing lightly on the center of the cake, it recovers its shape after the pressure disappears.
- Now we have to work as quickly as possible, but also with great care, because when hot the cake is more fragile. We remove it from the tray and place it upside down (the cake in contact with the cloth) on the cloth dusted with the icing sugar. We remove the parchment paper and roll the cake and cloth together starting from one of the short ends. Let cool on a rack . Meanwhile, we can prepare the filling.
From the cream cheese filling:
- In the bowl of our mixer, equipped with the paddle attachment (or in a large bowl), we add all the ingredients to make our filling and first mix at low speed for a couple of minutes or until they begin to integrate.
- We increase the speed and continue mixing until we obtain a homogeneous, creamy and smooth texture (no more than 5 minutes or we run the risk of losing consistency and spoiling).
- When the cake has cooled, carefully unroll it and remove the cloth.
- Next, we spread the coverage over the entire surface of the cake with the help of a large spatula .
- Finally, we roll the cake again starting with one of the shorter ends. We have to ensure that there are no gaps but that it must not be too tight, or the filling will come out at the ends and it will hardly be appreciated.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before consuming.
- We can sprinkle our rolled cake with icing sugar just before serving. To cut it, we will use a large serrated knife.